Blogger Widgets

28 April 2013

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 04282013

(Crazy Cartoon Nutsy Squirrel cover stolen from DC Comics.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 04282013:

"There's no easy way to say this, Shannon. You're a crazy cartoon squirrel. You always have been. It's time you knew the truth."  -Robert Newsome.

  • In his occasional Comics Group Think series, Tom Spurgeon asked "In What Ways Does The Culture Of Comics Have An Impact On How Business Is Done?"  I answered.  As did several smarty pants people.  It is worth a read. Bob Temuka's response got me to thinking that, on the bright side, at least it is now easier for we the fans customers to call out the companies when their practices are not so great.  If twitter had been around when Jack Kirby was trying to get his pages back from Marvel I think he would have had them in a couple of weeks.  Maybe a couple of days.  And that in turn would have actually improved the relationship between Marvel and Kirby.  And maybe Kirby would have done more work for them.  More money for Kirby, more profit for the company and more comics for the fans customers.  So, maybe if you do the right thing you win.  And maybe if you screw over everyone you lose.  But what do I know?  I had a banana and a pack of "Toast Chee" crackers for lunch.  Food for people so broke they can't even afford their fake cheese flavored food stuffs to have an S and an E on the end. 
  • Oh, and here is the smoking gun. 
  • This article (which I also saw first at The Comics Reporter) about the shuttering of Graphic Smash got me thinking about the early 2000s when there was so much discussion and worrying on the message boards (message boards are how you complained about how you were wronged by entertainment products before twitter and facebook) about the best platform/model for webcomics.  And I'm not just thinking about Joey Manley and his subscription based sites.  (Shaenon Garrity talks about her experience with that here and it is a must read if you want to walk down webcomics memory lane.)  Thank God for people like Manley that said, hey, maybe we should try to figure out a way to get paid.  But I'm thinking more about the different webcomics community platforms that came and went.  There were so many different platforms that people invested so much time and money into.  "This will be the MySpace for Comics!"  "This will be the facebook for Comics!"  And we were all so frantic to get on board.  Oh the horror of all the stalls being filled in the new digital shopping mall before we got ours.  I'm sure I created a login for every upstart webcomics platform between 1998 and.... yesterday.  

(This is a Star Wars piece by Jack Kirby.  It is amazing.  I don't know where it came from or why it exists.)

(They read the comments.)
Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

Oh wait.  What?  Francis?  Oh alright.

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: