Blogger Widgets

26 November 2012

11 comics I liked in 2011: Part 5: The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold


(Image stolen from DC database.) 

EDITORS NOTE: I'm over "best of" lists.  I came to the realization that I personally only read them to see if the list agrees with my opinions and if it does not then I instantly forget about it.  I assume that I'm not the only one that sees them this way.  So instead of a meaningless list I am posting a series of eleven individual reviews of comics I liked in 2011.  These comics will be reviewed in no particular order.  It was not my intention to wait until late in the year 2012 to post about these 11 comics but, events occurred.  Thank you for your patience.  Thanks for reading.

The All-New Batman:The Brave and the Bold
Published by DC comics.
Featuring work by Sholly Fisch, Rick Burchett, Dan Davis, Gabe Eltaeb and others.

The Batman: The Brave and the Bold TV show is one of my favorite things of all things of all time.  Love it.  My kids and I watched it religiously and played the video game on both the Wii and the DS.   And the comic book spin off was not half bad either.  Some of my favorite comics from 2011 (and 2012) came out of that series.  At times Sholly Fisch's stories and scripts are better than the TV show.  For one thing, Batman married Wonder Woman! (Sort of.)  Issue 4 (pictured above) of the series was full of Silver Age wackiness with an all-star cast that even included Sugar and Spike!  Rich Burchett's art was pretty close the the TV show model but he gets to cut loose and have some fun with some crazy lay outs.  Gabe Eltaeb's colors were perfect.  Like, the TV show, this was a comic where anything could happen and it did.  No rules and no "Dark Knight" or "Spirit of Vengeance" crap.  Bright bold heroes and psychedelic crazy mad villains.  Fun!  

(Image stolen form DC database.)

Another stand out issue of the series was number 13 where every Robin ever had to team up to save Batman.  (Including Stephanie Brown!)  My daughter loved this comic.  Kids love to see all those costumes in one book.  I loved it to.  Sholly Fisch is great at this kind of thing with a big cast.  Every character has their own moments and their own voice.  Top notch stuff.

(Image stolen from DC database.)

The series was canceled and the final issue came out in 2012.  (Which, was totally not in the year 2011 but we'll talk about it anyway.)  It too was a winner.  Bat-Mite falls in love with Batgirl and tries to impress her by beating the crap out of Batman for 20 or so pages.  I'm telling you people, Shakespeare never thought of a story as good as that.

It really broke my hear to see the TV show and this comic come to an end.  Broke my kid's heart too.  And speaking of breaking my kid's heart, Tiny Titans was also canceled in 2012.  This made my kid furious.  And yeah, Tiny Titans was replaced with another kid friendly book but it is no comparison.  Not even close.  Tiny Titans was great but now its gone.  2011 will stand out as a golden year when DC Comics made good comics for kids.  2012, not so much.


Your best pal ever,
Shannon Smith

p.s.  Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind.  I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: