Blogger Widgets

02 September 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 09022012

(Mister Fantastic entering the crossroads of infinity.  Like ya do.  By Jack Kirby.  Image stolen from imprint.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 09022012:

"I see that story first.  I feel that story first.  I know those people first.  When I put them down they've already lived.  And, I put them down as I'd like them to live on those pages.  My stories are very sincere.  My stories are people stories.
...Now, I didn't resolve the questions.  I'm a guy who lives with a lot of questions.  I see what's out there and I try to resolve that and I never can.  I don't think anybody can.  Who's got the answers?  I sure would like to hear the ultimate one.  But I haven't yet and so I live with a lot of questions.  And I find that entertaining.  I find that entertaining.  And uh, if my life would of went tomorrow it would be fulfilled in that manner.  I would say, the questions have been terrific."  Jack Kirby



  • I wrote an article about a wrestling event for the new issue of The Atomic Elbow. You can go buy that now.  I know that does not have much to do with comics but it does have a lot to do with me and hey, this is my boat y'all.  Oh wait, The Atomic Elbow totally does have comics in it so, yeah, this is totally the comics news of the week.  Totally!
  • Here is a nice write up on the David Mazzucchelli’s Daredevil: Born Again Artist’s Edition including some great sample pages that are worth a look.  I think I have most of those comics in their original form in my basement.  If someone would come over and mow my yard for me I'd love to sit down and read through them again.  Also worth mentioning is that Tom Spurgeon called the TCJ "snotbag haters" in his twitter link to the article and that made me laugh pretty hard. 
  • The only way I'm going to pay for a Geoff Johns written Justice League of America comic is if one of the members of the team is Shannon Smith.  But, I do kinda like that new line up.  I like Green Arrow, Katana, Stargirl and Hawkman anyway.  Weird that Steve Trevor has become Steve Rogers in the New 52.  (And by weird I mean totally unimaginative and dumb.)
  • Robot 6 talks to Van Jensen
  • I talked about Ben Towle's Oyster War
  • Agreeable Comics could use some help keeping the site paid for.  If you like their webcomics, then maybe you should do that.  Sometimes I feel like we should all be giving money to any and all webcomics creators that don't bother us with a kickstarter.  And lets just take a moment to say, dang, Kevin Church is involved with a lot of webcomics
(Somebody finally noticed it was Spider-Man's anniversary.  And it was Canadians.    Image stolen from Fan Expo Canada's Pintrest page.  I think this is the first time I've linked to a Pintrest page, and yes, I died a little.)

  • There is a schedule up now for MorrisonCon.  People have taken shots at the arrogance of Morrison and his backers for even having this thing but it looks fun to me.  Totally not a comic book convention so you can't really hold it to that kind of cost versus value comparison .  It's more of a seminar or some other thing I can't financially afford to really think about or understand.  But hey, if you've got the money to hang out with rock stars and comics madmen then go crazy.  How much does it cost?  If you had to ask then you can't afford it. 
  • I had a dream this week where I went to SPX.  In the dream I went by the tables of all the creators I wanted to buy things from only to find that they were all outside playing basketball.  So I go outside and sure enough Box Brown and a bunch of other cartoonists I follow on twitter are playing basketball.  I go back inside and laid some money on Box Brown's table and took 5 new minicomics in exchange.  Because, yeah, he will probably have 5 new mini comics for sale.  I knew this was a dream, not because cartoonists were playing basketball but because in the dream, I could afford to go to SPX.  I think the lesson in all of this is that Box Brown probably will have a lot of new books at SPX and you should probably go buy them if you have the means. 
  • Oh, and speaking of SPX, I guess as you read this we are less than two weeks away from the big weekend.  Panel Patter continues to build that bigger boat. 
  • Jive.  Talking.  Wizards.  Oh crazy Neal Adams Batman.  Don't ever change. 
  • Do you subscribe to and or collect the box tops off of Ashley Holt's illustrated tantrum blog The Symptoms?  You probably should.  Last week's rant on litter and/or smoking and bothering him in general was a good 'un.
  • I saw this podcast linked on Josh Latta's facebook page and I listened to it mainly because it was called Mini Trunks and I thought that was funny.  There is a lady on there talking about how she got into comics which was basically through Buffy The Vampire Slayer, comic book movies and her iPad.  Which, is so far removed from how I first accessed comics that she may as well be talking about how the people on Mars prefer to build their tacos.  Fascinating.
  • In other podcast news, Dave Sim's glamourpuss and other people and things are burning in hell.  (In which Matt Seneca reveals that Kyle Baker is starting his own cartooning school and that he has announced it by taking some business cards to Frank Santoro's comic book swap meet.)  I think I've linked to every episode of Comic Books Are Burning in Hell since it started.  I hope that you, dear reader, have caught on to the idea that I think it is a pretty swell podcast.  I only understand about half of what those guys are talking about but each of them hold in their brains more information than could possibly be healthy.  It is the least we can do to listen to their podcast and hopefully take some of that information away from their burden. 

  • Have I talked about that Flaming Carrot kickstarter? It appears to be fully funded but you can still get in on taking home some great stuff for yourself.  I heart Flaming Carrot quite a bit. I'd like to have it just to read about Oxy Man who apparently has no super powers but does not care because he's on Oxycotin.  Gotta love Bob Burden. 
  • Alex Pappademas has a great article about the David Lynch Twin Peaks movie Fire Walk With Me at Grantland.  I can't think of anyway to trick you into thinking it has anything to do with comics but it is a really great article a bout a movie I really like and it gives me an excuse to tell you my personal Twin Peaks story.  I'd been looking for an excuse for a long time.  Here it goes.  I never saw the Twin Peaks TV show during its broadcast run.  I was in high school and my local ABC affiliate just did not show it.  They did not show a lot of things I wanted to see.  They did not show The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles either.  They sucked.  Viciously.  But, I heard about Twin Peaks and was interested in seeing it.  Cut to my college years and I'm watching all the weird movies I can get my hands on because that's what you do.  My major was communications (yeah, I know) and my concentration was film production.  So, I watched a lot of movies.  I became a big David Lynch fan.  Dune was a favorite.  My buddies and I watched Wild At Heart enough to have most of the dialog memorized.  Fire Walk With Me came out in 1992 and I was curious but never saw it.  I finally saw it on VHS sometime around 1994.  Having not seen Twin Peaks, I was totally confused.  It seemed like three movies.  One being a weird comedy FBI mystery thing.  One being the most messed up episode of 90210 ever.  And the third being and absolutely terrifying horror film that didn't make any sense.  But I liked it.   The movie is a mess that makes very little sense but there are some fantastic performances in there.  Evey actor, every face, every line is fascinating.  So, for years, the movie existed in my mind as this crazy art film that did not make any sense.  Cut to spring of 2011. I had surgery and had to sit upright on my couch for about two weeks.  I finally watched Twin Peaks on Netflix.  (Side note, there are probably a lot of ways that you could watch Twin Peaks but hopped up on pain killers is the correct way.)   It became one of my all time favorite TV shows.  Love.  It.  So I thought that I would revisit Fire Walk With me and that it would all make sense.  Not so much.  I watched it on DVD and left feeling the same as when I first saw it.   It seemed like three movies.  One being a weird comedy FBI mystery thing.  One being the most messed up episode of 90210 ever.  And the third being and absolutely terrifying horror film that didn't make any sense.  But I liked it.  I like it a lot. 
  • Oh, and I once met "Little" Jimmy Scott who sings the song in the video below.  What a voice. 
Snotbag haters chair

  • And finally:  We're not gonna talk about Judy at all. 


Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: