Blogger Widgets

29 April 2010

Thoreau at Walden by John Porcellino

Thoreau at Walden by John Porcellino.
112 page hardcover graphic novel.
Published by The Center for Cartoon Studies through Hyperion.
$16.99 retail.


If the point of this book is to introduce Thoreau's Walden to a young comic friendly audience then I think it succeeds. It reads kind of like a visual advertisement for Thoreau's Walden. But to look at it as it's own thing and consider it on it's own merits I would have to say that it is underwhelming.  I love the idea of it.  Matching up one of the definitive minimalist comics creators of his time with Thoreau's minimalist writing and philosophy is a perfect match and the book looks great but it does not feel like a story to me.  It feels more like a collection of illustrated quotes. But, again, maybe that is what it is supposed to be.  Maybe I just want to much from it.  I'm a fan of both of the creators and, I'm like, old and stuff so, maybe I'm not the target audience.  But still, I love the idea of it.  I found it at my local library and I love the idea of some kid finding a copy in their library and getting turned on to both Thoreau and Porcellino. 
This book was put out by the Center for Cartoon Studies and they make great looking books.  Hat tip to fellow former Georgian J. P. Coovert who assisted on the book's design. 

Your best pal ever,
Shannon Smith

No comments: