Blogger Widgets

08 January 2008

My favorite minis of 2007.

I picked up tons of minis in 2007 but when I went back through my boxes to pick out my favorites I found that many of them were from 2006 or earlier. I thought for certain that I had new minis from J. Chris Campbell, Drew Weing and Eleanor Davis but nope, they were from 2004 to 2006. Here are my favorite 2007 minis from the box. I'll save my longer thoughts on why they are my faves for future reviews here at file under other.

Paper Pusher by Brad McGinty. The third funniest mini I've ever read. (The first two also being by Brad.)

Rashy Rabbit by Josh Latta. You really can't ask for more from a $3 comic. Nice cover. 32 pages of great art and story. Why can't every comic be this good?

Manley Days Vol. II by Jeffery J. Manley. This thing is very impressive. It's the size of a quality paperback but I sill think of it as a mini-comic because of it's hand crafted nature. The book is beautifully made and the content gives you a whole year of Jeff's Manley Days strip. Well executed, funny and touching. All that for just ten bucks. Wow.

Big Deal Comics & Stories #8 Eddie Goes to Portland by Patrick Dean. A nice thick mini with a fantastic color cover collecting an odd ongoing story from Dean's now retired Flagpole strip.

Arguably Comics No. 4 by Adam Casey. There is not a ton of substance to this mini but I'm including it because it is a great example of what I look for in a good $1 mini comic. For one buck it has an awesome color cover and every page makes me laugh. It's the perfect type of mini to pick up over and over again for a quick chuckle.
Your best pal ever,
Shannon Smith

7 comments:

Brad McGinty said...

I liked the Eddie goes to Portland issue a bunch too. Patrick always delivers the goods. I need to check out Adam Casey's stuff. Between your column and TCJ message board I've heard a lot about this guy.

Brad McGinty said...

Oh yeah! And thanks for the props Shannon!I need to send you a tub flub
still!

Shano said...

No problem. Thank you!

Josh Latta said...

Thanks Shannon!

You're to kind...

Shano said...

Oh, no. Thank you. Probably my most frequently re-read comic of 2007.

Jeff Manley said...

Y'all should check out my new stuff... I have far surpassed my 2007 self.

Shano said...

Yeah buddy that stuff looks good. Just added those two webcomics to my blog reader.