Blogger Widgets

19 March 2023

The Amazing Spider-Man 21 (legacy 915) 2023

 

About a week ago our little kitty cat named Carnie started acting sick.  She did not have the energy she would normally have. Carnie is a small shorthaired cat with the white tuxedo chest and white paws.  She is the softest cuddliest cat in recorded human history. She is the sweetest happiest little cat and is our old boy cat, Booger’s, girlfriend.  He licks her head. It is adorable. 



By Wednesday, she had stopped eating so Thursday I left work to take her to our vet. When I got there, I noticed there were not any cars. At first, I thought it was my lucky day and that there would be a short wait.  Friends, it was not my lucky day.  When I went to the door, I noticed a sign on the door that said the vet was closed until further notice.  I called my wife and she checked Facebook and found out that our vet had died.

Our vet is dead. 

So, I went to the closest open vet that I could find on Google maps.  That vet examined Carnie for about ninety seconds and gave her a shot for nausea and an antibiotic.  That vet charged me $175.00 that I did not have frantically pulled together the $175 from those phone apps that float you money until your next payday.

By Saturday, Carnie still was not eating. So I took her to a different vet.  A not dead vet.  And hopefully a vet that would not charge me $170 for nothing.  This vet instead charged me $326.77 to tell me that our beloved kitty cat has FIP and that it is fatal.  She did give carnie a steroid and some antibiotics so Carnie is now eating.  That is great! Until that medicine runs its course and she probably dies.  New vet said that there is a treatment that works well for FIP but they did not have any since it is not FDA approved.  They said they would try to get some from a medical school.  

So, right now, we can only hope that 1) the vet gets the medicine 2) we can somehow miraculously afford it and 3) none of our other cats develops this illness.  
Apparently, FIP starts with the coronavirus and then mutates into FIP.  So it is very likely that all of our cats had the coronavirus.  Honestly, it is very likely every cat on this planet had the coronavirus.  We just have to hope that Carnie is the only one of our cats where it developed into FIP.  

If you would like to help finance our kitty cat’s treatment, you can email me or DM me through twitter.

Alternatively, if you are a person that believes in capitalism and thinks that our sick cat should pull herself up by her kitty cat bootstraps then you can support her through capitalism.

I have been reading Spider-Man comics since 1978.  Well, that is not true. I was a little kid in 1978 and could not even read but I could beg my parents and grandparents to buy me the Spider-Man thing off the spinner rack at the Piggly Wiggly.  So, I’ve been following my close personal friend Spider-Man’s adventures through six decades now (using sports math where you can claim to have done something for more years than you were actually alive it you hit the tail end of one decade and the start of another). 

Here in the two thousand twenties decade of my friendship with Spider-Man we find ourselves in the Zeb Wells run of The Amazing Spider-Man.  Wells started his Spider-Man in medias res jumping six months into the future from the previous run and leaving what happened in between a mystery.  Friends, I HATE THIS.  Continuity jumps work in a single movie or a single television show where things are resolved by the end.  They do not ever work in an ongoing serially published periodical soap opera comic book series.  It was a complete failure and disaster when DC decide to launch its New 52 five years in the future.  The six months here is not a bad, but it’s bad enough.  It has been a real slog trying to get through these past months of comics with nothing explained and Peter Parker’s life ruined AGAIN but this time without explanation.

Nevertheless, in this issue, finally, finally, finally, Mr. Wells and company are going to allow us to know what has been going on.  At least that is what the hype box on the cover tells us.  Short answer is; Remember that weird dude in The Amazing Spider-Man 894 that showed up just as Peter and Mary Jane were working everything out and going to start a new life together?  Me either.  But, it’s him, it’s that weird dude.  Tune in next month true believers! 
All right, let’s score this sombitch.

Writing: Zeb Wells. Zeb Wells is a good writer.  The bulk of being good at writing Spider-Man is just understanding his voice and the voices of the supporting cast.  Beyond that, it is just soap opera so don’t make a mistake too big (Clone Saga, Mephisto) or do anything lame like jump the story six months into the future.  Doh!  Score: 2

Drawing: John Romita Jr. penciler.  Scott Hanna inker.  John Romita Jr. draws this comic book.  He is one of the best half dozen give or take artists to draw Spider-Man.  It’s fine. Score: 4

Colors: Marcio Menyz.  The colors in John Romita Jr. books are always good.  Y’all notice that right.  Do you think JR Jr picks his colorists or that they just bring their best work when they get his pages?  Score: 4 

Lettering: VC’s Joe Caramagna.  It’s fine. It’s computers. I could read the whole thing but it doesn’t add anything to the experience.  Score: 3

Total Score: 3.25 out of 5 Shanos.

Love always. Your best pal ever,

Shano

No comments: