Blogger Widgets

24 March 2013

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 03242013

(The Avengers #4 from March 1964.  The month my Uncle Buddy was born.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 0342013:

 "Take a lesson from Watchmen and come up with new characters for that stuff. And then go back to Superman and Batman and put the same kind of love and effort and craft and intelligence you’ve been putting into all those rape scenes and body mutilations into something kids can read, and adults can also be proud to read because of all the love and effort and craft and intelligence you’ve put into it, and make those the “real” versions."  -Roger Langridge.

  • My uncle, Eugene Stewart Jr., passed away this week while on vacation in Mexico.  He was a good uncle.  A good man.  I think everyone that knew him considered him a friend.  He had been a lot of things to a lot of different people.  Paper boy, delivery boy, small business owner, banker, mayor, golf buddy, poker buddy, son, brother, father and grandfather.  His nicknames were Bud and Buddy and he was a good buddy to a lot of people.  He took my cousins and I to movies, putt putt, go karts, amusement parks and golfing.  He was very sharp and very funny.  He loved to laugh.  He was one of the only adults that I knew growing up that listened to rock n' roll.  He showed me how to play a Van Halen song when I got my first guitar.  When I wrecked my car last year, he showed up on the scene out of nowhere, made sure I was okay and did all the talking when the sheriff's deputy showed up.  Of course the deputy knew him.  Everyone knew him.  I was lucky to know him and have him for an uncle. 
Eugene Stewart Jr. probably getting ready to help out at the family paper.  Several years ago.  Saint Paul, VA.
  • Remember last week when I told you that SPX would sell out instantly?  Well, I was sort of right.  It would have but it exploderated first.  I did not try to register because I"m broke but I watched it through twitter like a blacked out sporting event.  SPX handled the ordeal with a lot of class.  Because of course they did. And for the record, I come down firmly against curation.  Let some other show be TCAF south.  Let SPX be SPX.  (Well, maybe give former Ignatz winners an early shot at a table.)  
  • We are all very old.  I think I had less than ten of those comics when they came out but I think I've read all of them by now. 
  • Those Al Plastino Peanuts comics that might have been.  
  • And more on that from Ben Towle.
  • Twist the knife.  Keep twisting and twisting and twisting and maybe one day you'll forget that there was once a soul where that black thing lives now. 
  • I'm ready to be the next former writer of a very important DC comic.  Call me. 
  • Rob Ullman sticks it to the man.  
  • That time Superman punched his pregnant wife into outer space
  • There is a new The Atomic Elbow on sale.  The first four were great so this one is probably a winner. 
  • Grant Morrison on ending his run on Action Comics.  I read it.  I liked it a lot.  Looking forward to re-reading the whole run as soon as I can find the time. 
  • If you want to get all the books with drawings of penises in them out of the school libraries then you're going to have to take away the notebooks of every 10 to 18 year old boy in America.
  • One of the standard comment responses you will see whenever someone talks about giving Steve Ditko what is owed to him for Spider-Man is that Ditko would not want the money anyway.  Can I just say, that assumption is based on the myth of Steve Ditko.  We don't know the reality.  And it's not our call to make.  It's not the point anyway.  The point is that Marvel/Disney should do the right thing.  Not the legal thing.  The right thing.  Do it.  They could stack up the money in a big pile like in The Dark Knight and let Ditko come in and burn it all for all I care.  Just do the right thing.
  • George Lucas on Al Williamson.   
  • In one shot of that new Teen Titans Go promo, the girls are wearing bathrobes, Beast Boy is in his underwear and Robin is naked with some mud or something covering his naughty parts.  What is going on in Titans Tower?
  • Thanks to Ben Towle, Adam Daughhetee and everyone else that posted, tweeted, etcetered about fuo and the Parade-O-Links last week.  This week's installment is minimal at best but I'm sure you all will understand that there are times you have to step away and put family first.  
  • And finally...we don't pay attention to any of her bullshit rules now.
Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: