Blogger Widgets

14 October 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 10142012

(Above mind blowing insane image by Brad McGinty.  Just look at that thing.  Click to enlarge and all that jazz.  That thing is just stupid good people.  We do not deserve things that good.  Image stolen from Wide Awake Press's Halloweirdos.  You need to go check that stuff out every day this month.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 10142012:

"Because it was a cosmic time, somehow she just turned herself into the Celestial Madonna and married a tree!"  Steve Englehart in Marvel Comics: The Untold Story.

(Image stolen from Pop Culture Safari.)
  • EC comics and Osamu Tezuka are burning in hell.  
  • I can't even draw and watch TV at the same time
  • The G key on my laptop is really giving me some trouble.  I'm really having to hammer down on that sucker. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Dang y'all. See, this is the level of commitment I bring to you every week.  Every.  Week. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
  • It really was pretty stupid for Rick to go along with that old guy and  take that afternoon off from just shooting the zombies in their heads.  What a dumb ass.
  • Here is a crazy comic you can download right now from Olivier Schrauwen.  Just look at how many consonants are in that guy's last name.  You know with a last name like that he's gonna bring the cray cray. 
  • Let's all move to France and make comic books
  • Listen to the man in the purple suit
  • I think we can all agree that Leather Space Men are the best Space Men. 
  • Sean Howe has done a really masterful job of promoting his new book Marvel Comics: The Untold Story.  Rolling Stone shared a few strange moments here. 
  • I sold some comic books, toys and china in the local town park as part of a town trade fare on Saturday.  I had the river to my back, a baseball field to my front and blue sky up above.  There was a lady selling fried pies.  They were so good.  Fried pies people.  I'm sure she made more money than anyone there.  Note to the youngs thinking about getting into the comic book game.  Consider fried pies.   It is really cool to sell stuff outside.  I think this was the 1st time I sold comics to an absolutely not at all comic book crowd.  And, by crowd  I mean a few dozen people.  Here's the thing about the common non comic book buying people.  You know, Americans.  They love the television.  Almost every person that came to my table and saw comics and toys either mentioned The Big Bang Theory or one of the many collectible/antique based reality shows.  I don't watch any of that stuff so I really did not have much to say other than, "Yep, these sure are some comic book and toys I've got for sale here.  Just like on TV!".  I had one young boy come up and look through my comic boxes then run off.  The comics were marked as $1 each.  I'd guess the kid was 11.  He came back a few minutes later with $1 in quarters that he dug out of his parent's car.  He looked really excited.  He told me that The Big Bang Theory was his favorite show and that he had always wanted comics but had never seen any.  I told him to pick out two for a dollar.  The 1st book he grabbed had some cool looking robot on it.  I don't remember what it was.  The 2nd he picked out was an Avengers comic drawn by George Perez with one of those great Perez wrap around covers where he draws like a thousand characters.  A very solid choice for an 11 year old boy.  I think I may have converted one folks.  Fishers of men everybody.   Fishers of men. 
  • This post is another short one friends.  I've had a hard few weeks.  One of our kitty cats died this week.  That is Kosha in the pic above.  She was 16 years old.  She had been through a lot with us.  Moved with us from Virginia to Georgia and back to Virginia.  She had protected our two girls when they were babies.  She was a friend to the whole family.  A terror to any other animal that came in our yard.  She liked to ride my leg.  When I would sit down she would hop on my leg, dig her claws in deep and ride as I bounced her around like she was on a mechanical bull.  It hurt real, real bad but she would purr the whole time and she was the boss so I always let her do it.  She loved chicken so much that she could tell when you were just thinking about getting some chicken.  When I would pick on her she made this "rik rik rik rik" sound instead of hissing.  She would do that and purr at the same time when I played with her.  She loved to play outside with the kids.  She chased bugs and butterflies.  She pounced dandelions.  When we would walk around the neighborhood she would follow us and I'd eventually have to pick her up and carry her home.  She was a real good kitty. 
  • And finally... drink some milk or eat pancakes they good for you. 

Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: