Blogger Widgets

12 August 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 08122012

(Cover from Jim Starlin's Dreadstar 6 stolen from mycomicshop.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 08122012:

"People keep asking me: 'Hey! What makes Epic Comics any different from other Marvel Comics?'  Well, one difference is that the creators own their own characters.  -- S'nice.  Sort'a gives them a special interest (as if they needed one) in doing their very best work." - Archie Goodwin in Jim Starlin's Dreadstar issue 6 published by Marvel's Epic line in 1983.

  • Fantagraphics has a preview up for Rich Tommaso's The Cavalier Mr. Thompson.  Watch the video.  It looks gorgeous.  You can pre-order now. 
  • The Country Law Shack and Sketch Charlotte are teaming up for a "sketch and learn" on August 23rd about intellectual property and "how to protect yourself, your art, and your talent".  Sounds like a great idea.  There is a facebook event page here
  • That Paul Pope Solo comic is very good.  I got mine autographed by the man himself.  And by "I" I mean that I had my wife stand in line to get it autographed.  She was okay with it.  Paul Pope is very handsome. 
  • It is Spider-Man's birthday.  Marvel does not care about this.  Probably because some Disney exec does not want them promoting a Sony movie property?  Or maybe they are just lazy.  But Tom Spurgeon cares!  Tom has re-posted this great interview with John Romita Sr. from back in 2002.  Essential Spider-Man 50th anniversary reading.  He also posted his thoughts on Spidey, a Spidey interview with David Brothers and a Spidey article by  Kiel Phegley.  Happy birthday Spider-Man!  You will always be my best friend!*



(Superman ad stolen from 20th Century Danny Boy.)
(Image stolen from Brad McGitny.)


  • Comics are funny.  And sexy!
  • I'm not going to link to rumors of Holden McNeil directing a Justice League movie.  Sorry. 
  • "-the cartoonist will usually be the writer, artist, editor, and sometimes even the publisher of his or her work. But being a cartoonist almost guarantees having a tight belt — you don’t even typically get all that rich working in mainstream comics. "  Wait?  What?  Noooooo!!!!  It can't be?!!
(Steve Ditko faces stolen from Longbox Graveyard.)
  • Love those Steve Ditko Spider-Man faces
  • Take comics seriously dammit! (You know what?  I liked Fun Home and Persepolis more than Maus and Watchmen.  Yeah.  That's right!  Comic book you!  Comic book you in your face!)
  • Garth Ennis and Howard Chaykin are burning in hell.  While losers were eating chicken sandwiches, winners like Joe McCulloch were reading Black Kiss 2.  "I believe his crotch explodes in the final panel although it's a little vague."
  • Have you ever dreamed of looking at drawings of Thor fighting Conan over weird prog metal music?  Well YouTube makes dreams come true!
  • About the only thing I like more than new Patrick Dean drawings are new color Patrick Dean drawings
  • This Kelly Sue DeConnick story is just plain swell.  Should be a lot of fun to follow. 
  • And finally:  Summer is almost over and the kids go back to school later this week so as you read this, I am probably doing this-- (Start watching at about the 2:20 mark.  It looks insane!  Hope I don't stroke out.)
facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

*Only friend. 

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: