Blogger Widgets

27 March 2009

Just what exactly is a minicomic?

The Bygone Bureau has posted a neat little article about minicomics and the question of what is a minicomic.  I just don't have it in me to get into that discussion at the moment but Shawn Hoke and Jordan Crane give some good answers.  I only have a few thoughts to add.  I'm leaning away from thinking of them as only hand made.  A hand made comic is surely a minicomic but I think a lot of "professionally printed" books are as well.  A small print run self-distributed comic that is not of the traditional pamphlet size and content is usually still a minicomic to me.  Another thought is that I don't call them mini-comics anymore.  I am sans hyphen.  They are just minicomics to me.  The genre is usually one of simplicity and minimalism so the hyphen is just extra baggage the word does not need. One extra key stroke I can't be bothered with.   But, that's just me.  
But, enough about me.  Go read the article. 

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

No comments: