Blogger Widgets

16 December 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 12162012

(Superman 408 cover image stolen from Comic Vine.  My grandmother bought me this comic out of the blue back in 1985.  I came home from school and there it was.  It was a good comic.  Paul Kupperberg and the great Curt Swan.  An emotional book.  I think it about it often.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 12162012:

"As a country, we have been through this too many times. Whether it’s an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theater in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago--these neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children. And we're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics." - President Obama.

  • Look friends,  this Parade-O-Links is going to be minimal at best.  This week started with me taking my daughter to the doctor and learning that she had the flu.  Thursday night I took myself to the doctor and found out that I have the flu.  And then Friday morning things got very tragic in Newtown Connecticut.  I have two kids and both of them are of the age that if we had lived in Newtown Connecticut they probably would have been in that building.  I thank God that the worst thing that happened to my family this week was the flu.  I'm so sorry for those people and that community.  I really don't have it in me to blab on and on about comics right now so I'm going to keep this one short.
  • The world may or may not end or have something interesting happen this week but one thing that I know will not end is the Supercontext.  I had planned to wrap up my complete re-read of The Invisibles before December 22, 2012 but that ain't gonna happen.  Unexpected events in my family and my work came up.  Sorry.   But I will finish it.  I've been loving it so far.  I hope that you may join in.
  • Gilbert and Jamie Hernandez were interviewed at The Comics Journal. 
  • This podcast where Dean Haspiel interviews Josh Simmons is great.  Dean asks the hard questions like, "what is it about the bonners?"
  • Legal things I don't understand may or may not have happened to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's Superman character.
  • Here is a fascinating article about the man who was the real world Darth Vader for about five years. 
  • I never heard of this Connor Willumsen guy until Ben Towle mentioned him on twitter but his comics are ridiculous.  Just look at 'em.
  • My photographer cousin Rich Meade got the next cover of Twenty Three magazine and he is killing it. 
  • This Lauren Weinstein comic is very good. 
  • That Kitty Pryde and Wolverine was a huge deal for me as a kid and one of my daughter's favorite comics now.  Good stuff.   You could check out one of those collections but I suggest you just buy the originals on eBay.  I did.  Cheap. 
  • This article on Spider-Man's 30th anniversary dinner was a good read. 
  • There is a new online Tarzan comic and it looks, well exactly like a Tarzan comic is supposed to look. 
  • This Lois comic featuring Harvey Pekar seems to be worth checking out. 
  • Here is a list what I need you to get me for Christmas.  (People, I had a huge Adventure People collection when I was a kid.  You don't even know how great those toys were.  Oh, and also, I had a Ring Wraith from that Knicker Bocker Lord of the Rings toy line and it was one of the best toys ever.  It just looked like pure evil.  I had no idea what it was at the time.  I had not seen the Ralph Bakshi movie or read the books at the time.  But I saw that thing at a K-Mart and knew that I had to have it.  All I knew was that guy was evil and a bad guy and he could fight Luke Skywalker, he could fight the Hulk, he could fight Spider-Man... hell, he could even fight Evel Knievel.) 
  • Spain is forever. 
BEST NEW PRINT COMIC I READ THIS WEEK
(Rich Tommaso variant cover image stolen from iFanboy.)

...was Marceline and The Scream Queens #6 by Maredith Gran with back up story by Rich Tommaso.  I think this was probably the only new Diamond distributed pamphlet comic in the direct market that included a Rich Tommaso  vampire girl rock star comic.  Therefore, it wins. 
  • And finally... No tax.  No paperwork.  No nothin'. 
Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: