Blogger Widgets

04 November 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 11042012


(Ron Frenz Captain America cover stolen from Strangers and Aliens.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 11042012:

"I couldn't care less."  -Steve Ditko on artwork for the first appearance of Spider-Man in Amazing Fantasy 15 being donated to the Library of Congress. 

  • So a hurricane smacked into the eastern side of the is continent I'm sitting on.  People died.  It was awful.  It had very little effect on me.  I had a bad cold and/or flu but I can't blame it on the hurricane.  Probably going to blame that one on the flu shot I got last week.  Still feeling kind of bad but not as bad as people sitting in the cold, wet, dark, no electricity, no gas northeast.  Thinking about those guys and hoping everyone is okay and that things get better fast.  
  • Kate Beaton has already posted some terrific sketch comics about the situation. 
  • We here in the United States of America and outlying territories will be taking another shot at Democracy this week.  I will vote for President Obama because Mitt Romney is a fraud.  But you, you go vote.  Make sure that you go vote.  Unless you plan to vote for Mitt Romney, then, like, totally do not vote.  Maybe go see a movie or something.  I hear stores are putting out the Christmas stuff already. 
  • Oh, hey, here is Robert Newsome with your soundtrack for this blog post
  • Newsome also talked about some wrestling and I tell you this because wresting is comic books or I'm not your sister.
  • My The Invisibles book club read along whatever you want to call it thing continued.  Sort of.  I got behind because I got so sick and stuff.  Here is what we have so far.  
I hope to get through the "Arcadia" arc soon.  It is one of my favorite story arcs of all comics ever so you are gonna want to check back in every few seconds for the next week or so to make sure you don't miss it.
(The magnificent cover to Marvel's Star Wars #106 by Cynthia Martin stolen from Wookieepedia.)
(Steve Ditko Amazing Fantasy 7 stolen from Pop Culture Safari.)
(Fantastic Kirby Machine stolen from CBR.)
  • There are no Democrats or Republicans during a link haiku -- only fellow Americans.


THE BEST SINGLE NEW PRINT COMIC I READ LAST WEEK
(Image stolen from Hero Complex.)
...was Batman Incorporated No. 4 written by Grant Morrison, art by Chris Burnham and other things done by about a half dozen other people. 
No other comic I read this week had Matches Malone in it so Batman Inc. wins for that alone. A fun, ultra violent and clever costumed punch up comic with some way above the curve art by Burnham.  This hyper speed action style Morrison is working in now can be hard to follow if the artist can't keep up (Action Comics) but Burnham gets all the beats just right.  His characters look and move like humans but Batpants can still strike the pose and be a god when the moment calls for it.  I really like the Damian kid and want him to stick around but I'm pretty much assuming that Morrison will work him out of the comic before he works himself out of the comic.  Batman Inc. has replaced Snyder's bATMan for me as the first read book when I get back from the shop.  I hate to see it end but I look forward to seeing how Morrison wraps it up.  
Honorable mention goes to Adventure Time No. 9.  A great comic with quality work in every word, line and color from cover to cover.  The story was a conclusion to the series first long multi part story.  And it was great, but since it focused on wrapping things up, it misses some of the immediate action of past issues.  Still, a very good comic book. 


  • And finally... Honey if I ask 'em they gotta come.  Baby they'd be afraid not to come.  I could murder 'em.  Like 'is...

  Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

2 comments:

Nate said...

Cynthia Martin's "Star Wars" art is some of the best comic art from that period. It was crisp and dynamic, and really deserves a lot more attention than it gets.

Shano said...

Agreed. Thanks. I tried to reply earlier but my comments thing went wonky. Trying to fix.