Blogger Widgets

28 October 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 10282012

(Ashley Holt HalloWeirdo art stolen from Wide Awake Press.  Surely I don't have to tell you people to go look at the HalloWeirdos every day right?  You have been doing that right?)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 10282012:

“It’s one of the most evil things I’ve ever done,” he told Kimmel. “We have these Halloween parties, and I decided, let’s have a Halloween tree. So we did the tree and put out presents, families come with their little kids, and the little kids stand there and I go ‘Oh, you don’t have a Halloween tree?’ and they go ‘Nooooo,’ and I’d give them a present. And then their parents would call me for about three months, ‘You son of a…’”  -W. Axel Rose on Halloween.

  • I don't know about you but I spent most of my remarkably small free time this past week re-reading and writing about Grant Morrison's comic book series The Invisibles. I invite you to read along.  I call it Into the Supercontext.  It is also worth noting that I am transcribing much of the Invisible Ink letters pages.  I do not think that they have been collected anywhere before.  (Please let me know if I'm wrong because I could much rather copy and paste.)  Here is what we have so far: 
That gets us through the first arc of the series.  The next arc is Arcadia and it is hard core.  Hard.  Core.  I hope to get up to speed on that right away so you just sit there and keep hitting the refresh button on your screen until you see it update.    




 
HYPERMETAL WING from Eric Canete on Vimeo.

THE BEST SINGLE PRINT COMIC I READ LAST WEEK
(Image stolen from ComicVine.)
...was Savage Dragon 182 by Erik Larsen and some other guys.  I was a Savage Dragon fan from the start but my move to rural America cut me off from the comic.  I have tweeted at and emailed Mr. Larsen several times to say that if he would point me in the direction of a way to subscribe to the comic I would.  No response.  But finally, the first ever comic book shop (actually a video game store)  in the county where I live and work got me a copy.  And I liked it a lot.  I don't have a clue what is going on.  Dragon is gone and his son is the Savage Dragon now?  I need to read more and get caught up but the comic is a lot of fun all on it's own.  Drama, splosions, punching, teen angst, death, punching, high school, religion, politics, punching and punching.  The production level on this thing is ridiculous.  Comics do not need to look this good.  We don't need paper this good.  Larsen's art is always entertaining.  Nikos Kovtsis colors are impressive.  The pallet is a bit brown for my tastes but I was still impressed with it.  This comic has a letters page.  I love letters pages.  And a Vanguard back up.  A very solid comic for $3.50 and it was packed with enough goodness to get me through waiting on the service center to plug two flat tires and change my oil.  Can't ask for much more than that out of a comic book.
  • And finally... maybe tonight you'll be gone.  (Have a fun and safe Halloween everybody!)
 Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: