Blogger Widgets

07 October 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 10072012

(According to Wikipedia and other things on teh intronets, Vampire Tales #2 came out in October of 1973.  "NEW! SATANA".  According to my mom, I came out in October of 1973 also!  But she could be wrong.  I honestly don't remember much before 1975.  Image stolen from Comic Megastore.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 10072012:

"When the book came out," Brunner said, "Stan finally got a hold of it, and he wrote us a letter saying, 'We can't do God. You're going to have to print, in the letters column, a retraction, saying this is not the God, this is just a god.' Steve and I said, 'Oh, come on! This is the whole point of the story! If we did that retraction of God, this is meaningless!' So, we cooked up this plot — we wrote a letter from a Reverend Billingsley in Texas, a fictional person, saying that one of the children in his parish brought him the comic book, and he was astounded and thrilled by it, and he said, 'Wow, this is the best comic book I've ever read.' " Englehart had a Christmastime layover in Dallas, and mailed it from there, ensuring a proper postmark. "We got a phone call from Roy, and he said, 'Hey, about that retraction, I'm going to send you a letter, and instead of the retraction, I want you to print this letter.' We printed our letter! We later found out that Jim Starlin was in New York at that time, up in the Marvel offices, and he was reading the Doctor Strange fan mail, and he was the one who actually saw the letter, believed it was the real thing, and gave it to Roy, who gave it to Stan." -Marvel shenanigans as detailed in this excerpt from Sean Howe's Marvel Comics: The Untold Story.

(Birthday thing Sam Henderson posted on my facebook page.  I laughed.  That Sam Henderson is great.)
  • The most important news of the week was that it was my birthday on Saturday.  I'm sure you sent me something nice but I understand that it may be late what with the whole Columbus day postal holiday and all.  It's cool.  I'll be sitting by the mailbox on Tuesday morning.  Boy, it sure is gonna be great.
  • But seriously tanks for all the well wishes on teh twudder and teh bookface etc. etc.  I do appreciate it. 
  • I have just finished up what is the busiest time of year at my job.  So, I'll go ahead and apologize about how this post is going to be a bit short and leave out some regular features.  Sorry. 
  • This post was created while listening to this.  Maybe you wanna check that out.
  • Hey, did you know that it is October?  It's true?  So that means that those sexy guys I've never met over at Wide Awake Press are posting a bunch of fall demonic holiday and/or horror themed art called Halloweirdos.  You should probably go buy 31 computers so that each day's art can be your wallpaper on one of each of those 31 computers.
  • The great Mike Hoffman talked about Tarzan and the trouble with being human beings that are not Tarzan.  You should read it.  I do not agree however with his notion that we should put Tarzan to rest.  I tend to think that we should make ONLY Tarzan.  I tend to think that with any new idea we have we should ask ourselves, is this Tarzan?  And if it is not Tarzan it should be abandoned and condemned.
  • Vote early.  Vote often.  Vote C.O.B.R.A.
  • Joey Weiser's Mermin is coming out in hardback from Oni.  It is in Previews now.  That is cool.
  • Hey kids!  Learn to draw the Gary Panter way!
  • Am I the only one that thinks Mike Luckovich looks like he probably jumped out of his car and bashed someones' head in at a red light on the way to the interview?  Beetlejuice!  I'm sure it's just me.
 (Image stolen from Eleanor Davis.)
  • Eleanor Davis is very good at making comics.  Here, go read this now.  It was great wasn't it?
  • Heather Peagler takes a look at B.P.R.D.
  • I just can't even.  I just don't... sob.  Oh well, alright
  • The New York Art Book Fair looks like parent teacher day at Monster High.
  • I'd like to take a minute to tell you people something from my heart.  Because, I feel like at this point we are family.  It is really hot where I'm sitting right now.  I'm kinda sweating. 
  • Love and Rockets are burning in hell
  • And another thing that I feel like I can share with you because, well, I feel like we are friends and that I can trust you.  My mouse is not working that great.  I don't have my regular mouse pad right now and this is not working out at all.  Now, you tell me.  Should I try to use the touchpad on my laptop or just smash the laptop on the ground?  Leaning toward smash but I'm open to suggestions. 
  • There were bunches and bunches of reports from Morrisoncon and it sounded like it was a very unique and enjoyable experience.  I have not heard one single report about Dan Didio saying something horrible, insulting and inhuman so that right there might make Morrisoncon a once in a lifetime event.  I enjoyed this piece that covered some of The Invisibles based discussion.  A lot of the post show hype was centered on Multiversity.  They had me at Frank Quitely. 
  • “I sometimes feel like a puppet.”  Me too Stan.  Me too. 
  • More real talk people.  Just between me and you.  Now, you can garnish an Old Fashioned with orange peel, orange slice, a cherry or a lemon.  Me, I just use it all.  I use all of it.  All.  Of.  It.  And look.  You can use use club soda.  That is okay.  Hell, I've used ginger ale.  It's good.  Ginger ale is good people. Don't be embarrassed. 
  • Professor Towle breaks down some kid's picture books for us
  • Everywhere I look it's Brad McGinty this and Brad McGinty that.  Look at my Brad McGinty.  My Brad McGinty is 7G.  Oh yeah?  Well my Brad McGinty is 4H.  Well Brad McGinty you buddy.  Brad McGinty you right in your face!
  • Those Dollar Bin kids reviewed a ton of stuff from SPX
  • That big Avengers punching X-Men thing wrapped up this week.  I have not read the last issue but my daughter has.  She said it was really good.  She was really into that whole event thing.  She's 10 and I figure the stars aligned for her to be into it.  She was already super into the X-Men and then the Avengers movie blew her mind so she ate this thing up.  Before she read the last issue, she told me that she hoped that Hope kills Cyclops.  That's my girl!
  • And finally... I'm getin' my heart back together again.  Or something like that.

Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: