Blogger Widgets

19 August 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 08192012

(Cover from a great big treasury sized giant Joe Kubert Tarzan comic that I read at the beach last year and loved about as much as my little black heart can love.  Image stolen from Treasury Comics.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 08192012:

"It was a way to make some money, that’s all: pure and simple. Nobody considered it an art form. Nobody was proud of being a comic-book artist. Matter of fact, it was a couple of steps below digging ditches. Syndication was recognized success. If you could get to do a syndicated strip, my God, that was the answer. But comic books were considered for many, many years to be a shameful occupation. Most of the guys in the business, if you asked them what they did, would never admit that they were comic-book artists."  Joe Kubert, 1994.

(Joe Kubert Tarzan 211 cover stolen from PencilInk.
Poetry F yeah!
(The above image of Bill and Ted being excellent was found at picktainment while doing a Google image search for the Phoenix galaxy.  Because teh intronets.)


(Mock ROM cover stolen from Blog For ROM Fans Who Aren't Dicks.)


And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

3 comments:

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

always nice to find new Rom fans out there i'm sure the guy who put that digital art together will be flattered you borrowed it for this posting.

Shano said...

Hi. Thanks for dropping by. I always try to link back to any image I borrow. I try to drive traffic back to the creators as best as I can. Thanks!

Gary Martin, Jr. said...

Hey Shannon, it makes me smile to know you appreciated my mock ROM cover. And nice to know I'm not the only one who can't throw away fast food receipts. ---A ROM Curator