Blogger Widgets

26 February 2008

Joe Kletz's FERRULE COMICS



Ferrule Comics issues 1 through 12 by Joe Kletz.
Each issue is approximately 6 pages long with color front and back covers and black and white interiors selling for fifty cents.

Apparently (unless the cover dates are false) Joke Kletz prints a new issue of Ferrule Comics every month. Each issue has a color front and back cover gag, set-up on the front "answer on back" and the interiors are made up of six pages of individual gag comics. Some of the gags are Mad style jokes but most would fit in better "gentleman's" magazines. Almost all the jokes reley on wordplay relating to sex or genitalia.
These comics are far from politically correct but some are undeniably funny. A witch giving another witch a broom flying pointer saying "If you don't wear underpants you can get a better grip" is funny to me. Wrong, but funny.



The drawing is simple but the jokes are delivered quickly and clearly. The more I think about it, the more I realize how hard it is to write any kind of serious review of a book that collects gags. It is like reviewing a joke book. What is funny to me may not be funny to you or a great many people. The only critical insight I can give on a gag or a joke is if I thought it worked and if I thought it was funny. I think most of Kletz's jokes work and I think a good enough number of them are funny. I like the look, length and format of these comics. They are nice little books to have stashed in my desk for a quick laugh. If Kletz keeps making them and I ever run into him at a con, I plan to buy the future issues. Especially if they stay fifty cents a pop.


Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are three new ones you don't have.

Yore best Pail ever,

jk