Blogger Widgets

03 February 2013

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 02032013

(Kickers Inc. #4 1986.  Image stolen from Comic Vine.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 02032013:

"I don’t know about you, but I’ve decided enough is enough. Everyone tells me social media has the potential for creating social change never seen before in human history. Okay, then I’d like to test it by seeing if social media can cut off the flow of money from DragonCon to accused child molester (and the convention’s co-owner) Ed Kramer, who has been using the 150K+ a year he receives each year from DragonCon to avoid trial and manipulate the justice system to allow him free reign to prey upon children, even while under supposed house arrest. All you have to do is publicly declare you will never attend DragonCon again as long as Edward Kramer profits from the convention."  -Nancy A. Collins. 

  • Happy Superbowl Sunday everybody!  I hope that as we all pull our guts up to the Bonanza super bar of shiny new television commercials, with a small helping of football for desert, we will all remember the true spirit of Superbowl; smashing one another's heads in all for the love of points.  Points everybody!  Just like money but worthless!  Personally, I love the American tackle football.  Like the great Al Bundy, I served my country playing high school football.  I remember it well.  Mainly due to the concussions and a knee that alternates between discomfort and pain 24 hours a day.  Football!  But the Superbowl is most often the worst football game you will see in any given year.  This late in the season most of the best players can barley walk and the starters are determined by which guys are not seeing double at gametime.  So maybe the commercials really are the best part.  Personally, I'm hoping to see this commercial staring Francis.  From what I've heard, Volkswagen chose a lame commerical where a white actor dude speaks Rasta instead.  But maybe during the pre-game show or somewhere in the evening we'll get to see Francis and all our favorite YouTube stars on our big flat screen TVs because the last thing I want to see on my television is professional actors.   (Apparently, the Francis version aired during American Idol this week.  That ain't bad.  I reckon a few people still watch that show.)  Anyway... Go Steelers!
  • And don't worry everybody.  Francis may be a celebrity now but he's still angry.  Never sell out Francis!
  • So that Paperman cartoon there sure made a lot of people blow a load.  It's alright I guess. I wouldn't call it a "groundbreaking technique that seamlessly merges computer-generated and hand-drawn animation techniques" or anything.  Seamless is not a word I'd use.  Groundbreaking?  I mean, you people are aware of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli right?  Don't get me wrong.  The cartoon is nice.  I like the part where Aladdin sits down beside the kid with the balloon.  I just think some of us spend so much time watching movies with video game animation that we feel like we've seen the face of God when we see moving line art. 
  • Alec Longstreth on not going to Angouleme. (I don't know how to do those triangle letter hat things.) 
  • Bart Beaty on yes going to Angouleme.  (I can't even pronounce it.)
  • Hey everybody, won't you just shut up and go read this interactive experimental flash comic thing Pat Lewis drew for Mark Waid's website.  Super cool. 
  • Holy cheese biscuits.  Go look at what Brad McGinty drew. Brad done did it again! 
  • How much of your life have you spent lying around wishing Morrissey would beat the crap out of Robert Smith?  All of it?  Well here ya go.  Courtesy of Josh Latta.  He lives to serve. 
  • People.  Last week, professional wrestler and WWE Champ CM Punk was forced to hand over his belt to a B movie actor.  It sucked.  There was never a doubt in my mind that it would not happen, but it still sucked.
(I think it's A-Okay to laugh at Macaulay Culkin and his pals because I'm positive they are laughing at all of us.)
THE BEST SINGLE NEW PRINT COMIC I READ THIS WEEK
(Image stolen from DC database.)
...is on hiatus because I did not read any new comics this week.  The comics shop nearest video came store that happens to sell comics is on the other side of a snow and ice storm from my house.  The weather is so bad that I could have gone to watch live professional wrestling Saturday and did not.  Ice people.  Ice.  My feet are cold.  I did read a 100 or so pages of volume one of the DC Showcase Presents The Brave and the Bold though.  And it is great.  These comics are written by Bob Haney and he is crazy.  Crazy!  This is a book that features Metamorpho and the Bat-Hulk and neither of those are the strangest things in it.  Get this.  There is a story in here where Batman has emotions about a woman.  A woman people!  Crazy man.  Crazy.
But hey.  Just because I did not make it to a comics shop and I don't have any plastic money for Comixology at the moment does not mean we can't talk about a new comic.  Here, go read this.  Dave Cooper everybody.  Actually, I think that comic is from last year sometime but who cares?  I promise you it's better than anything you could have found in a comic shop this (or almost any) week.
  • And finally... My favorite Superbowl was the one where The Incredible Hulk murdered the Chicago Bears.
Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

2 comments:

Ashley Holt said...

I'm relieved to see not everyone got a boner over that Paperman film. Smooth animation aside, it oozes the standard Disney cuteness that permeates character design and movement in most American cartoons. And yeah, I didn't get what was supposed to be so groundbreaking about it.

Shano said...

I think it's "groundbreaking" because Disney's marketing guys want another Oscar. Is it supposed to be groundbreaking for making digital look drawn or for making drawn look digital?