Blogger Widgets

04 December 2013

Random Digital Meltdown 12042013

(Image from Richard Sala's Violenza.)

Hi pals.  Let's take a look at some of the comics I've read on my phone or PC lately. For the sake of this blog post I'm going to call these digital comics because I read them digitally on Comixology but I am aware that some of these are also print comics.

Violenza by Richard Sala.
Published by Fantagraphics.  Digital comic sold for $4.99.

I was very excited to find out that I could pay five bucks for a new Richard Sala comic and read it instantly on my cell pad pod phone and./or PC laptop.  I couldn't pull that trigger any faster.  Done.  This comic gave me most of what I came for, Richard Sala art and some funny bits, but it left me a ldissapointed.  Sala never bothers to explain any motivation behind his main character's actions.  There really isn't any kind of plot that I can make out here.  And worst of all there is no real resolution at the end.  It feels like the first 50 pages of what should be a 150 page comic.  Is there more to come?  I have no idea.  If there were, I'd buy it for the same reason I bought this, Richard Sala art and some funny bits.  But I would sure hope it might have an ending.  I was also dissapointed that I could not recommend this one for my daughter.  Not that evertthing has to be for kids.  Trust me, plenty of things are for kids.  But this comic feels like a missed opportuity in that regard because the humor is juevenille (and I mean that in a good way) but the violence is Hollywood NC-17.  I'm honestly not clear on who this comic is for.  Well, other than that one guy in Virginia that will pay $4.99 for 50 pages of Richard Sala art without really thinking about it.  

(Batman 66 image by...)

Batman 66 by


Batman 66

Adventures of Superman

Sex Criminals

American Barbarian

Love And Rockets New Stories

No comments: