Blogger Widgets

16 December 2013

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 12162013


(G.I.JOE A Real American Hero issue 2.  Cover by Herb Trimpe.  Stolen from ComicVine.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 12152013 12162013:

"I also think that a lot of the defeatist horseshit that gets passed around about comics being really hard and hey, what are you going to do is something in which non-creatives as a collective whole maybe shouldn't get to traffic in because, with very few exceptions, they simply haven't accomplished enough to merit that cynicism."  -Tom Spurgeon who celebrates a birthday today.  Well, I don't know specifically that he is celebrating it.  I can't see him.  I don't have laser eyes or mind bullets. He may simply be ignoring a birthday today.  Whatever works best for him.  Regardless, he deserves it to be a nice day.

  • Hey brothers and sisters.  Christmas is close with New Year right behind.  I just have to make it through five more days of work until I take a nice vacation.  I'm not going anywhere.  I'm just not going to work.  Were in the height of "best of list" season.  I hope to post mine before the new year.  Maybe.  In the meantime, myself and a bunch of other people (possibly all men, I'm not sure, I have not seen all of their genitalia) named off some favorite comics over at The Comics Reporter.
  • There is not a doubt in my mind that Ed Kramer will be strolling through the hotels of next year's Dragon*Con footloose and fancy free.  Well, maybe he will be in a motorized wheel chair.  Either way, he will be there looking like the villain in a Rob Zombie directed James Bond movie.  It's gonna be gross and it's gonna suck.  

  • This one is old but I never get tired of reading about Jim Shooter
  • As we get close to the end of 2013 (the worst year of my life) I'm thinking about Superman and Warner Bros complete failure in commemorating the 75th anniversary of Siegel and Shuster's characters.  Sure there was a movie (I'm sure its timing was just coincidence) and sure they made that video (which completely ignored they Byrne era and a bunch of other big things) and that awful awful awful logo, but I feel like there should have been more.  A TV special maybe.  At least a parade.  Was there a parade?  Did I miss the parade? 
  • Personally, I hate graphic novels.  This is because I cannot afford them.  I used to be a retailer with a national book chain that sold a lot of graphic novels and manga.  That book chain is out of business now.  Others will follow.  I don't know what the future holds. I don't know what the answers are.  But I do know that I recently bought Love and Rockets collections and Richard Sala's last comic on ComiXology for less than $6 each and I was pretty happy about it. 
  • This one was short pals.  December is a slow moth for comics and a super busy month for everything else in my life.  But fear not.  Soon it will be new year and we will dance like Ann Margret on LSD. 


Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.
p.p.p.p.p.s.  Yeah, I do Instagram too now.  I guess it's a law or something.

No comments: