Blogger Widgets

08 December 2013

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 12082013

(Detective Comics #389.  Image stolen from an incredible set of Neal Adams art at The Golden Age.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 12082013:

"When I heard that Ed was accused of child molestation, I had a hard time believing it. I knew Ed. I couldn’t see it. But that is the way of sociopaths that they can make themselves look innocent and normal in the eyes of everyone else."  -Kathleen David on Ed Kramer.


  • Dan Nadel announced that Picture Box will not be publishing any more books.  It is certainly not good news for comics.  You can't just assume that someone else will pick up the kind of books Nadel would have been publishing if he had carried on and you certainly cannot assume that they would be published with the same quality.  I personally did not buy many Picture Box books.  I just couldn't afford them.  Sorry.  You can make they greatest work of human expression of all time but if it costs over $15.99 there is a good chance I'm never going to read it.  Back when I worked at Borders as an inventory manager, I made sure my store stocked a lot of small press graphic novels if for other reason that I myself could read them.  But I left Borders and moved to the cow fields about the same time Picture Box started.  I picked up a few things here and there at conventions and when I visited civilization.  But I missed most of what Picture Box did.  You can't have it all.
  • I still pick up Brian Chippendale's Maggots and flip through it about as much as I flip through anything.  It is still fascinating.
  • I also couldn't afford anything on Fantagraphics Kickstarter.  Sorry.  You small press comics book publishers let me know if you start publishing any comic books under ten dollars. 
  • David Alan Doane is back to comics blogging.  That's swell. 
  • I enjoyed this article on the evils of smarm.  But if you really want to learn about smarm, watch professional wrestling.  Bo Dallas is the human smarm.  


Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.
p.p.p.p.p.s.  Yeah, I do Instagram too now.  I guess it's a law or something.

No comments: