Blogger Widgets

19 May 2013

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 05192013

(Iron Man #49 cover by Gil Kane.  Stolen from Cover Browser.)


Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. wrestling during the week weeks ending 05052013 05122013 05192013:

 "No one will ever have your life, so tell me what it feels like." -Grant Morrison. 
  • Hello brothers and sisters.  Thanks for dropping by.  This is going to be a long weird rambling Parade-O-Links.  I write these things here and there during fleeting moments of free time then try to edit them together over the weekends.  My past few weekends have been busy.  One of my kids had pneumonia.  I was busy with work and got stuck working extra hours.  You know.  Regular life stuff.  It happens.  So, this Parade-O-Links is a combination of what should have been three separate posts.  Some of this news is old news but, in a way, these posts act as an archive or diary of my comics life so I'm leaving the old stuff in.  Thanks in advance for reading what may be a mess.  They can't all be winners.
(Left to right:  Brian Marcus, Supergirl and Jeremy Massie.  Image stolen from Cavalier Comics facebook page.)
  • This month started off with another Free Comic Book Day.  I've come to think of FCBD as a holiday.  Maybe the best holiday.  Unlike other holidays, FCBD does not cost me hundreds of dollars.  I get to take my kids out for a free stack of comic books paid for by the fine comic book retailers of America.  Thanks comic books shops!  Thanks to Cavalier Comics of Wise VA specifically.  Usually, I will try to hit more than one comic shop on FCBD but this year my kids were sick so we kept things simple.  The crowd at Cavalier seemed to be pretty strong.  Maybe the most crowded I've seen it on a FCBD.  More ladies and children than I had noticed before.  My kids and I got everything we wanted from the FCBD selection and picked up a few other comics and toys. It was a very good Saturday morning. On the drive to and from the shop, we listened to a mix CD I made of James Kochalka's kid friendly songs.  (Or, basically the James Kochalka songs that don't have curse words in them.  Neigh Neigh and Woo Woo is one of my kids' all time favorite songs.)  I think their were around 50 comics this time.  My kids and I picked up around 40.  I've only had time to read a few of them.  Maybe I'll find the time to talk about those comics soon.  My mom read the Walking Dead comic and liked it.  
  • The Brooklyn Comics and Graphics Festival is over.  This is most likely because I can't stand the word "Graphics" and I put a curse on it when I was a boy.  Sorry.  (It makes me think of skin graphs.  Shiver.)


  • Iron Man 3 came out a while back.  I guess it's a big deal and all.  Jim Rugg drew an Iron Man thing here.  I still have not seen it but I can already tell you that what I like most about it is that it does not have a subtitle and that the words "rise of" and/or "rises" are not in the title.  Iron Man was pretty much my favorite thing on Earth (other than Star Wars) when I was 13.  I sure knew a lot about how to make a billion dollars in the international box office when I was thirteen.  In fact, I look at the whole pop culture world right now this instant and it looks exactly like the posters on my bedroom wall when I was thirteen.  However, my tastes in movies and music started to get a bit weird when I turned 17 so get ready for some crazy stuff in 2017 ya'lls.
(The greatest drawing of all time.)

Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith


p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: