Blogger Widgets

08 July 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 07082012

(Andy Griffith Show comic image stolen from Comic Vine.)

Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 07082012:

  • The great Andy Griffith has passed away.  Growing up in the south, Mayberry was real and Andy Taylor was a Sheriff that lived a few hours away across the state line.  He didn't just speak to us he spoke for us.  He was us at our best.  I've spent many nights in emergency rooms in the past decade.  Thank God that on most of those nights I was able to find a re-run of the Andy Griffith Show on the hospital TV.  
  • J. Chris Campbell has a strip in the new Oxford American and has also been one of their recent guest bloggers.
  • Speaking of Oxford, check out this great Henry Eudy comic they featured.
  • CF is interviewed on Inkstuds.
  • ISLAND!
  • That Shannon jerk just will not shut up about HeroesCon!  Here is the Dollar Bin's post show podcast. 
  • Brian Chippendale in The Believer
  • Patrick Dean is the best.  (See below.)
(Patrick Dean's Luke Cage image stolen from the facebook.)
  • Digital comics everybody!  Monkeybrain has some new deal where you can read their stuff on Comixology pretty cheap.  I did not read all of the press release.  Instead, I just went ahead and bought this Bandette comic
  • Digital comics everybody part 2!  Top Shelf also has some good deals on digital comics.  I bought Surrogates Case Files. 
  • Digital comics everybody part 3!  Between now and July 23rd you can name your price (Radiohead style) for some great comics at The Whole Story.
  • Digital comics everybody part 4!  Here is a little post I made about some of the digital comics that I read this week. 
  • Some comic book company is going to renumber their comics.  Again.  Who the F could possibly care?  
  • Movie studios renumber their franchises too.  

  • Speaking of Spider-Man.  Steve Ditko, at least one of the three most important creators in the history of what has become the billion dollar Marvel entertainment empire, has recently said words out loud to a human.  Here is what he said:
    • "I don't have anything to say."
    • "No."
    •  "I haven't been involved with Spider-Man since the 60s."
    • "I do those because that's all they'll let me do."
  • Did you know that Steve Ditko still made comics and that you can totally buy them and own them?  It's true!
  • Oh, and Ditko drew some ROM too
(Steve Ditko ROM art stolen from Ditko Comics Weblog.)



Oh, and one more last thing!  Did you know you can leave comments on these posts here at file under other?  It's true!  And, I'll probably respond.  Twitter and facebook killed the message boards but that's no reason why you can't argue with me, praise me or leave me recipes.  It's your intronet.  Have fun!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: