Blogger Widgets

01 July 2012

Other Comics News Parade-O-Links 07012012

(Stan Lee and Shelton Drum at the HeroesCon Art Auction stolen from Heather Peagler.)

Just because file under other does not currently have a lot of time to talk about all the wonderful things that should be filed under other it does not mean that wonderful things are not happening. Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics etc. during the week ending 07012012:
(Warning:  For some reason, the spell check thing for this post just ain't a gonna work at all.  I click it and nothing.  Click. Nothing. Click.  Nothing.  So, get ready for some bed spleeling and werse typoes.)

(Pic of Henry Eudy at HeroesCon stolen from Josh Latta.)

  • I've been reading the New 52 Superman title and it has had some enjoyable moments thanks to George Perez but it has mostly been a mess.  Perez confirms the obvious editorial cluster#[](% that has turned what should have been a homerun into ground out at first.  The Perez Superman issues are not that bad.  Like I said, they have moments.  The great thing about them for me is that they are dense and a lot of action happens.  I really like it when things happen in a comic book.  Which, is surprisingly rare.  My ten year old daughter enjoyed those Perez issues and even said she liked them better than Morrison's Action Comics because more stuff happened in them.  The weak parts have been the messiness and inconsistency of the plots from issue to issue. I'll blame that on editorial and not on Perez.  Perez was making a very nobel attempt at placing these very old characters in a world contemporary to our own and giving them motivations and personalities and all those things we like characters to have.  But DC kept pulling the rug out from underneath of him.  Oh what could have been.  If you as a publisher of comics will not trust the great George Perez to deliver a good Superman comic without changing his work to fit your editorial mandated universe, well, then you suck at publishing comics and probably should not be in charge of it.  The same George Perez that helped give you this which saved you from losing a whole generation to Chris Claremont's X-Men and was turned into this and made you jerks a $#!? load of money.  Yeah.  That guy.  When that guy goes up to the plate, you let him swing whatever bat he wants and you sit down, shut the F up and enjoy the homerun. 
  • And finally ladies and gentlemen... The Human Fly!

And that's just a taste of some of the interesting things going out there in the wonderful world of comics and things. I can't keep up with it all but I do keep up with a lot of it on twitter and I try to re-tweet the good stuff. You should probably follow me there. If you did something to make comics better this week then high-five!

Your best pal ever,

Shannon Smith

p.s. Say you want a leader but you can't seem to make up your mind. I think you'd better close it and let me guide you to my twitter feed.
p.p.s. Let's pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I'll tumblr for ya.

No comments: